Monday, March 5, 2012

The Diary of Anne Frank

Since Masterpiece has a movie installment of this book, I was finally able to catch the story. I was always afraid to pick it up because the subject seems so depressingly dreadful. But I am glad I did, as it was a good story. I had always assumed that the story was about the young girl who lived by herself in the attic for a few years and then starved to death while she was hiding. I don't know where I go that impression, but the story was actually about two families and a single man living together and she later died in the internment camps. The diaries are much more complex with myriad themes: mother/daughter and father/daughter relations, teenage sexuality, human behavior when forced to live in confined living quarters, female intellectualism during a time when females aren't considered smart, etc. It was really a very good story, but the end is predictably terribly sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment